SUGBUTRIATHLON

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Generic or non-branded carbon bikes and parts  (Read 3272 times)

pdw1

Generic or non-branded carbon bikes and parts
« on: May 16, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »

I've been to several web sites (u.s.) discussing OEM / Generic / Non-branded bike parts and there appears to be relative consensus that these non-US manufacturers/companies make good bike and parts. I'm particular about wheel sets, frames and aero bars. I tried browsing among Filipino sites and don't find much discussion about it.  Branded bike part prices are exorbitant by my standard so i'm contemplating of trying these from Ebay or from other sources.

Any thoughts / experience on this matter is worth reading.

Note: I don't like calling these bikes/parts china made because most nowadays are made in china and only few are purely US or European made.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:38:58 PM by pdw1 »

michael.on

Re: Generic or non-branded carbon bikes and parts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »

I've been to several web sites (u.s.) discussing OEM / Generic / Non-branded bike parts and there appears to be relative consensus that these non-US manufacturers/companies make good bike and parts. I'm particular about wheel sets, frames and aero bars. I tried browsing among Filipino sites and don't find much discussion about it.  Branded bike part prices are exorbitant by my standard so i'm contemplating of trying these from Ebay or from other sources.

Any thoughts / experience on this matter is worth reading.

Note: I don't like calling these bikes/parts china made because most nowadays are made in china and only few are purely US or European made.

hi pdw1,

personally i will stick with the branded one, bike components specially the wheel set and the frame is an investment, and you dont want to invest in something which are not tested or credible,

as for the wheel set try for scram almost the size depth of zipps i think but not that expensive

check out http://www.220triathlon.com/ for equipment reviews

and wiggle.com when buying online

hope this helps

regards,

pdw1

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »

thanks mike,

Yes i'm also thinking that it is an investment but would surely cost me a salary or a credit card bordering on its limit.
This is how i'm going to use it: regular training / practice  - alloy clincher.  Race or days prior to it deep carbon (tubular). I understand these generics are not at par with the branded but I wont be using those carbon everyday and may be pulling it out probably once a week sometimes not. So the wear and tear may not take its toll on the material.  I know it's a little gamble...but so is cycling on the road. :)

But thanks for the input, i'll take a hard look at it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:36:26 AM by pdw1 »

michael.on

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »

hey, most welcome,

i agree with your training plan, train with what you intend to race on also train your nutrition plan = )

see you in cebu this august, also just send you a PM

regards,

mike