SUGBUTRIATHLON

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ironman Lake Placid Experience Report (sorry its long)  (Read 1020 times)

lencemedjai

Ironman Lake Placid Experience Report (sorry its long)
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »

I registered for Ironman Lake Placid 2011 last year when I made the trip to IMLP 2010 to watch FilAm Tri (FAT) guys do the race. I got so inspired with what they were able to achieve and also from the energy of the town, that I thought of registering but still had doubts if I can do the distance. The next day after the race (Monday morning) one of FAT boys Don, took me to reg site. There with a dream of becoming an Ironman, with the blessing of my wife (still my girlfriend back then) and a lot of mixed emotion I stood in line. Six hours later, I was in! If I was crazy enough to stand in line for six hours then im definitely crazy enough to attempt an Ironman. By the way my brother Cerrone was able to reg online took him only mins at the comfort of his chair. Both of us are going to attempt our first Ironman together, this is going to be a special one.

On Jan. 8, 2011 I married my soulmate Elaine Alerta, I was the happiest guy in the world that day. 2011 was going to be an awesome year for me and I know it will just keep getting better. Fast forward July 2011, IMLP is finally here.

Drove up to Placid Thursday with a lot of positive attitude, for some reason I was excited no nerves yet. The highlights for me on pre race days was one, meeting fellow FAT members, goofing around and hanging out with the group helped a lot in staying calm, the veterans also answered all my ironman virgin questions. The other highlight was at welcome dinner when Mike Riley “voice of ironman” was very shocked to announce that fourth most represented country at this year’s IMLP was Philippines! Wow! I was going to be part of history, very cool.

Night before race day I was feeling some pain in my right leg I was walking around, stretching that I drove my wife nuts haha! I think it was the nerves finally kicking in. She made me play angry birds and then I was off to bed.

Race day

Got at transition area 5am, it was quick no problems. Setting up was easy since pretty much most stuffs were checked in and bike was racked day before.

Swim: found fellow Fat’s at the swim start,  held hands, bowed our heads and said our prayers. Good start to a long day. I am not a strong swimmer so when the cannon went off I waited about 2mins with Erick also an ironman virgin before we started swimming. Then we were off, I was now alone. I think my swim went well, got kicked, slapped, swimmer nudging my feet from behind which was annoying since im very ticklish. But I expected this so I welcomed the experience and hit them back haha! First loop 51mins, quick run on beach then back in the water for another loop. Lets go! Total 2.4miles swim 1hr 42mins, kept same pace on second loop very happy. Expected 1:45 so I was pleased.

T1 I did not rush, got a few high fives from spectators. In to changing tent, volunteers were great!

Bike: did not have the chance to ride bike course prior so I took everyones advice to take it easy since it’s a very challenging course. First 56miles loop was being really conservative but I think I was pushing it a few times also. The long 5mi fast downhill was scary! Said a quick prayer before starting the downhill, made it to the bottom in one piece. One mistake I did on bike was at special needs bag I had my nutrition for second loop of bike. I had perpetuem in powder, plan was to grab water and mix it there. Turns out they had no water, I freaked out and mixed it with the water I had left after first loop. Bad move! now I had a very concentrated perpetuem drink and had no water. Next water station was mile 60 that’s 4 miles away bummer. Oh well things will happen out there they say. Cant cry over concentrated perpetuem. Second loop said a prayer again before the fast downhill. My low point came at mile 84-85 when I was questioning a bit why I was doing this, I wanted it to end. Luckily it came really quick and I was able to brush off the thought right away. Last 10-12 miles of each  bike loop was a very loooonnngggg portion of constant climbing. I was hurting on this part on second loop and started to really struggle. I was getting worried on not making the cut off on bike since I could feel getting really weak and moving really slow. Bike target was 7hrs-7hrs 30mins, first loop was 3:37 on my watch so I thought 7:30 was doable but the last part obliterated me. Total bike 112miles 7hrs 53mins with one pee stop, just happy to make the cut off and be off the bike.

T2 volunteer at changing tent saved my race. We were chatting as I was changing, when he knew it was my first time he told me to try and finish first loop of run with water, ironman perform and salt tabs only. Then on second loop start adding cola and chicken broth but once you start cola dont stop. I realized I did not have a plan on the run at all since I was so worried on nutrition on bike haha! Thanks dude! You’re my hero!

Run: so started my run thinking on what he said. Also someone said Ironman virgins will walk the marathon, so I was telling myself to never walk. Well I did walk through aid stations to grab a drink and eat. But other than that I ran the whole thing. I ran the uphills where everyone else was walking. I kept running the lonely out and back of river road when it got dark on the second loop. I always told myself that if I just make that bike cut off the run will be a celebration for me and I will try to enjoy the whole run. So that’s exactly what i did, I kept moving slow jog or ironman shuffle whatever you call it. I was smiling, acknowledging everyone who cheered me, gave kids high fives, danced with ford girls at ford motivation area, thanked volunteers, I don’t know but I was enjoying it. My brother was way ahead of me, but on the run he wasn’t having a very good day, so I was slowly inching into him. I caught him with 6miles to go. I asked if he wanted company, he said no, try to break 15hrs. I really did not want to stop and walk so kept on and told him, its all in the mind, just jog. Total 26.2miles run was 5hrs 25mins with three pee stops, but to be honest it didn’t feel it was that long its so weird. I wanted to run 5hrs but hey ill take it, it got me to the finish line.

Finish: My day concluded in 15hrs 17mins, I could write a whole separate entry to describe the feeling seriously its that surreal. heavy legs and all the pain is gone running towards the finish. I made sure I could hear Mike Rile say “Lence Dayo, You are an Ironman” and there it was, a dream come true. I thought I was going to cry but no tears. All smiles just like on the run. Waited a few minutes to greet my brother at the finish line, Mike Riley says “Cerrone Dayo, you are an Ironman” sweet, perfect.

I would like to throw a big thank you to everyone who believed in me, sent me positive vibes, messages, posts, texts and all. To all FAT, you guys are a really great group, good motivators and mentors. To my friends and family who made the trip up to Placid to cheer me on. To my brother Cerrone my training partner and everyday hero, I am so happy that we achieved this Ironman dream together. To my Father who taught us how to dream. Lastly, most especially my wife for being so supportive, inspirational and totally understanding on allowing me to go for this crazy dream of becoming an Ironman. This is not just my achievement but for all of us. Thank you all and thank you for reading.

Anything is possible!
the body achieves what the mind believes

valcaro

Re: Ironman Lake Placid Experience Report (sorry its long)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 07:42:28 PM »

nice post bai...

Congrats...

chono

• Administrator
  • passing the hat...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »

five thumbs up!!!

;D

lencemedjai

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »

five thumbs up!!!

;D

five thumbs? grabe pud bisan apil ti-il bai di man ka abot lima haha! salamat!

Race_09

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »

nice experience bai.. any pix?

lencemedjai

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

naa bai its on another topic started by triaAbz

the first "IronMan" (140.6) . . . . . . DAYO brothers na topic nag post ako manoy og pics didto.

vard

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »

after reading, this post seemed short, thanx for sharing
"When your legs are tired, run with your heart"